Why we do not have to worry about accidents at nuclear power plants Fukushima
Kadek Fendy Sutrisna
14 March 2011
“There are few reasons that make me believe why we do not have to worry about accidents at Fukushima nuclear power plant unit 1 and the problems that occurred at Fukushima nuclear power plant unit 3″
After the explosion at the Fukushima nuclear power plant Unit 1, several newspapers often reported that Japan is in the middle of a nuclear crisis with potentially dire consequences such as accidents at Chernobyl or TMI (Three Miles Islands). Coverage-coverage like this of course only makes us and our families who are in Indonesia who have no clue about the nuclear power plant became very panicked at the time to read it.
Make everyone understand what is happening right now without having to make the reader become more panic is the current information needed for friends who were studying in Japan and his family. Here I try to convey my opinion, and I say that your friends here do not have to worry about this situation, the distance of Tokyo and Fukushima as far as 250-300 km, is still in a very safe radius. The purpose of this article is to defuse public unrest against the news-news that tends to be exaggerated, it makes people into a panic and would be better if we keep thinking positive. As for my opinion are as follows:
1. Japan’s biggest earthquake in history, and the nearest nuclear power plant Onna-Gawa and Fukushima from the date of March 11, 2011 were, still make the generating function works according to plan in case of emergencies. The cooling system is no road, there was an explosion here does not mean the current state of nuclear power is getting worse, the reactor is still functioning according to the initial design of even the worst conditions. Although quite old, Fukushima nuclear power plant has a high and modern security systems. Fukushima nuclear power plant has been designed to withstand up to 9 Richter scale earthquake and tsunami threat.
2. Efforts are made nuclear experts in Japan today (Fukushima units 1 and 3), only an effort that aims to minimize losses due to damage caused by residual heat of decay energy. No increase in radiation intensity, in the sense here is not required evacuation, more broadly in the future. There’s no fission reaction in a reactor. So this is not the same reactor accidents such as Chernobyl or the cases There Miles Island (TMI), where two cases occurred while the reactor is still working 100%.
3. After the tremendous explosion in the advocates of building a second reactor unit, Japan announced that there was no damage to the reactor and its primary containment. And although the substance of cesium and iodine substances were detected around the Fukushima plant in the event of an explosion in the unit 1, there were no fatalities due to radiation, and the proven semi-radioactive substance has a half-life is very short. In short here in the sense that only a few minutes.
4. The reactor was designed to follow the philosophy of “Defense of Depth”. Design plant is designed with multiple layers of security to anticipate the worst possibilities. For problem of Fukushima nuclear power plant with exposure as follows:
- Reactor stopped immediately right after the earthquake.
- In the case of Fukushima reactor units 1 and 3, the cooling system otherwise fail due to defective diesel generators after the tsunami.
- Power supply systems in emergency situations in addition to diesel generators are also designed with a back-up batteries it has a half-life 8 hours. If shortly after the reactor shut-down, additional diesel generators shipped directly to the site, I’m sure there will be no problems like this. In the case of Fukushima unit 1 here, purely because Japanese engineers are not ready to deal with emergency situations.
- Although Japan is still not well-trained engineers for this condition only nuclear power can still be said to be safe. So does nuclear power plant here from the beginning been designed for all the worst of conditions, including errors caused by humans.
- Large explosion occurred in the reactor building, but the reactor did not experience any problems at all and no increase in radiation of radioactive substances.
5. Japan is very dependent on the nuclear power plant, with experiences like this, I am sure in the future Japan will be able to create a more advanced nuclear power technology more than ever. Earthquake-resistant with a strength above 9 ricter scale, tsunamis and other catastrophic possibilities are even worse.
Dukung Fendy Sutrisna untuk tetap berbagi dalam artikel ketenagalistrikan Indonesia dengan klik link LIKE, COMMENT & SHARE atau SUKA,KOMENTARI & BAGIKAN halaman facebook berikut -> Catatan Fendy Sutrisna